My only advice would be to make the character animations for slicing more realistic, and allow the character significantly more forward movement in a combo. Also the zombies have too much health, and dodging should be button+direction, not two separate button if you want to align with other games in this genre. Overall, cool game! I love the atmosphere and antagonist(?) narration. Reminds me a lot of sundered, but more spooky in a good way.
That Abysmal Place
A downloadable game for Windows and Linux
Donations are not required but always appreciated. Any donations will help support the continued development of the game.
Welcome to the demo page for That Abysmal Place
That Abysmal Place is a 2D horror roguelite currently very early in development. This page is for showcasing the various demos that we use for testing and feedback.
Note that these are early pre-alpha builds, as such you may encounter bugs or optimisation issues.
Movement and Combat demo
The purpose of this demo is to garner feedback on the controls and overall feel of the game mechanics. Your feedback is valuable and will help us make That Abysmal Place the best experience possible. Comments can be left on the Itch page or in our Discord.
Level Generation demo
This demo is designed to showcase the procedural level generation functionality which would form the basis of most of the game's levels.
Despite being demos, these trials are not for the faint-hearted or weak-willed. You will be forced to experience unpleasant scenarios and encounter uncomfortable things. Your playthrough may differ from other players.
We recommend playing with the lights down and the volume up.
- WASD/Left Thumbstick - Move/swim
- Space/A Button/RMB - Jump
- Ctrl/Right Thumbstick Button - Crouch
- Shift/Left Thumbstick (lightly) - Walk
- F/B Button - Interact/Pick up item
- Mouse Wheel/Left and Right Shoulder Buttons - Scroll through inventory
- 1 to 7 - Select an inventory slot directly
- G/Y Button - Highlight inventory slot (for moving, examining, or dropping item)
- LMB/X Button - Attack
- Q and E/Left and Right Triggers - Dodge
- Dodging during an attack will cancel the attack.
- Crouching on a platform will cause you to drop through it.
- Ropes will automatically be placed at the appropriate points, allowing you to descend down further into the level.
- Large framerate drops may cause issues with the rope physics or other unexpected behaviour.
- Player is sometimes incorrectly positioned on the rope.
- Player is able to swap weapons mid-attack, causing strange behaviour.
- Animation notifications for looping animations become out of sync, causing things to trigger at the wrong time (e.g. climbing movement speed).
- Creatures may unexpectedly collide with objects in the level.
- Room backgrounds will occasional clip through each other.
- Various other animation glitches.
- OS: Windows 7 or later
- Processor: Core i3
- Memory: 2 GB RAM
- Graphics: DirectX 11 compatible dedicated GPU
- Storage: 200 MB available space
|Tags||2D, Atmospheric, Exploration, Horror, Lovecraftian Horror, Procedural Generation, Psychological Horror, Roguelite, Surreal, Unreal Engine|
|Average session||A few minutes|
|Inputs||Keyboard, Mouse, Xbox controller, Playstation controller|
Click download now to get access to the following files:
- Marathon Jam - April 2022Apr 23, 2022
- That Abysmal Place - Movement and Combat Demo version 0.3.1 released!Oct 28, 2021
- Linux test builds addedAug 14, 2021
- Marathon Jam - July 2021Jul 25, 2021
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Really fun game. The platforming elements were very solid. Can't wait to play more of it.
This game was SICK
Thanks so much for playing, your reactions were great! :D It's super helpful to see playthroughs to help identify any bugs or issues too.
Also I can confirm that "Terror" is a mechanic in the game yes, although it's unlikely to rise high enough in the demo to affect the player.
Hello, I played this game and I really enjoyed it, loved the environment and art style, good work :)
Thank you so much for playing, I'm glad you enjoyed it and your video was actually really useful because I spotted a couple of bugs:
- "Walking" should be deactivated when player is swimming (I think this is why you were swimming slowly)
- Crawling shouldn't wake the zombies up
Also, I guess I should say that you were "lucky" in your playthrough, there's only a small chance for the red light to show in the demo :)
Checked out your game today So creepy and a little different Loved it.
Amazing game dev great mechanics and atmosphere i'm excited for the full version
Thank you so much for trying it, I'm glad you enjoyed it! It's always very useful to see how players react to the different mechanics. I will say that your playthrough was quite "lucky" in that you managed to avoid triggering certain... events :)